Monday, July 19, 2010

Filling Church




You how know sometimes you are hungry and you don't know that you are hungry? Then you pop a handful of cheddar goldfish or a few grapes in your mouth and as soon as they reach your stomach you realize, "Holy cannoli! I'm hungry!" Mmmmm, connolis...

Well that was what I was reminded of yesterday at church. Once I started visiting churches I discovered this new passion to worship and then last week I was out of town and was unable to go to church. Meaning that yesterday during service I realized how hungry I was for worship! I didn't even know how badly I needed it until I got a little taste.

This brings me to “Church #3”… the church I said I wouldn’t go too. In fact I didn’t 100% decided to go to this church until about 30 minutes before I left home on Sunday morning. I had the directions to and service times of two churches and chose “Church #3” at the last moment. It was one that I had heard a lot about and felt I needed to at least try. I’m really glad I did.

First of all, I walked in and found everyone there wearing name tags, and then a girl about my age turned to me and said, “Your name?” So I told her and found myself one of the many name-tagged people milling about. I thought this might be something special they were doing this morning, that it might tie into the service or message or something, but no. I left still not having any idea why we all had name tags (actually I walked around Target for a while after church with the name tag on. Awkward).

However, besides the name tag confusion (which really didn’t help me get to know anyone any better that any other church I’ve visited) the church had another little twist. They sang about two songs before the message and the rest at the end of the service. I must confess I liked ending on that note (no pun intended).

Maybe it was because I was hungry for it, but worshiping in song with “Church #3” was exactly what I needed. It reminded me of the best meal I’ve had in my life... seafood in Galveston. My family had to wait so long for a table and it was already so late when we got there that we were extremely hungry when the food was served. Best. Shrimp. Ever. So I don’t know if the worship was that amazing or if it was good timing, but I left on high. It was like eating a great seafood meal (I love seafood) after a long diet of bread and water.

I felt this way at “Church # 1” as well, but I think it was intensified this week because I’m actually begining to expect it (that’s been a long time coming). NOT that I think you have to be at a church service to have these times of worship, but I do think there is something special about corporate worship (oh, I see another blog coming).

Also this church, though bigger than my former home church, seemed close; like it wouldn’t be hard too meet people there. Not that I did meet people. I was still the one introducing myself during the welcome time. I don’t think anyone would have told me there name if I hadn’t lead with, “Hi! I’m Meagan”, but of course they had name tags on, so why tell me there name!?!

The teaching there, though not as magnetic as “Church #1”, was biblically sound and not just the surface fluff I expected from this church (or churches in general to be honest). It was a good, deep sermon showing the links between the Old Testament and Jesus. Very cool.

With all that being said, I think if I time it well and don’t get lost next week I can visit the church that was almost “Church # 3” and still make it to the actual “Church # 3” for its second service. It certainly earned a second try. Oh! Also, just as a side note, they didn’t offer me coffee, but they do have a coffee bar. So they fed my need for worship and my thirst for coffee. Kudos my friends, kudos.

No comments:

Post a Comment