Friday, July 2, 2010

Church Blind Dating

Church hunting for me is a lot like guy hunting. You have a list of what you want, a list of what you don’t want, and absolutely no experience to tell you how it find any of it...

There are other similarities as well. Looking up “How to find a church” on Google is about as helpful as looking up “How to find a guy”. Not that I’ve tried either… Also, you are more likely to give a church, like a guy, a chance if it/he comes recommended by a friend. This of course brings me to another similarity. Very few people have church suggestions for me! (infer what you will).

You see, I’ve never looked for a church before. NEVER. So I don’t really know how to do it. Sure, I’ve visited churches in the past with my family. But it was my parents who decided where to go (how did they do that exactly?). We would discus as a family how we felt about each church we went to, but it came down to my parents to make the choice. This luckily is where the church/guy comparison breaks down. My parents never handpicked any guys for me. Actually… that might have been okay. Anyway, I ramble.

All this being said I have visited one church twice already. People ask me if I like it, and sure, yes I do. I’d go back and probably will. But I’m not the kind of girl that can say yes to the first church she visits. So I need to find others to try. And I’m picky, which is no surprise to me, making this whole process a bit of a hassle. Not to mention the fact that Sunday only rolls around once a week, so visiting several churches takes time!

Anyway, my thoughts on the first church I’ve visited. We will call it (drum roll please) “Church # 1” Oooooh, ahhhh! Beeeeeeeeeautiful!

I LOVE the teaching there. LOVE it. It has been exactly what I need to hear at this point in my life. All about grace and how Jesus + Nothing = Everything. Both Sundays there I wanted to cry at some point because the message spoke so directly to my truth starved soul.

The time of worshiping in song has been good too, I don’t know the songs yet, but I’m getting there. Plus, I feel like there is no pretense in the worship team, which let’s face it people, can be a rare thing in churches today. I could do a whole blog about that, but I won’t.

The biggest problem with this church so far (besides the fact that it is kind of a drive) is that no one has really talked to me there, I mean a turnaround-shake-your-hand-obligatory “hello” during the greeting time, but that is it. I fear this is going to be a problem I face a lot.

Do you know how much it takes for me to get up early, get fancied up for church, drive 30 minutes to get there and then walk into a church all alone? After all of this I’d really like someone to want to ask me, "What brings you here today?" or "Tell me about yourself" or "Do you want a cup of coffee?" Okay fine, that last one isn't practical, but still, say more than, "Good morning!" Something! Anything! However, if I did choose this church I’d get plugged into ministry and meet people that way. I guess.

This coming Sunday I’m trying a place a little closer to home, I’ll spice things up and call this church… “Church # 2”. Wow, jump back.

The information I have on “Church # 2” is very limited, I randomly found it while looking for a different church online. I’d compare going to this church to going on a blind date with a guy who you only know because you Facebook creeped his profile page. Meaning, I’ve looked their website all up and down and can’t find any theological flaws. Plus, I saw some things I really liked. So Thundercats are go! Yeah. I’ll keep you posted on how that goes, for all 2 of you who read this (Hi Mom!).

Really this blog is mostly to help me sort through what I’m thinking and planning. I want to be where God leads me, but evaluating things never hurts… I don’t think. So one church down… God knows how many left to go (literally, He knows). :D

No comments:

Post a Comment