Monday, August 9, 2010

Target your visitors (pun intended) - A Side Note

I was running some errands the other day and I ended up at my favorite place, Target. I'm there a lot and I use to work at the portrait studio so I even know some people who work there. I know what to expect from a Target experience. Or so I thought...

I was stopped not once, not twice, but three times by Target employees asking me if I needed help finding anything. This was new. I was *this* close to asking the girl who checked me out if there was a new, "talk to your costumers!" policy, but was distracted by a diet coke... anyway.

I know that it wasn't a coincidence that suddenly the Target people were so concerned about my Target shopping experience. Someone told them to do this and they did.

Skip forward two days. Here I am visiting churches again. The man at the door welcomed me warmly shaking my hand and telling me he loved my smile and he hoped it was contagious. Really this is more than I've come to expect even from the "greeters" usually they say "good morning" and thrust a Sunday morning program in your hand. However, despite the friendly guy at the door again NO ONE talked to me.

Now I understand that "a man who has friends must himself be friendly" I need to step out of my comfort zone (because getting up early, driving to a new church and walking in a all alone isn't out of my comfort zone — ah, the sweet taste of sarcasm) and talk to others. However, I think that if the Target employees can do a better job of making me feel welcome than the body of Christ... we have a problem. Is it a wonder Target is my favorite place and churches have left me a little bruised? (Okay, okay Target does have cute shoes, but still)

I know I harp on the "people don't greet visitors" issue often, but to me it is a big deal. So I want to say this to all of you who have a church home. Talk to the people around you!

Seriously, look around, do you know the people nearest you? Yes? Great, then say hello to your friends and love on them. No? Than for pity sake talk to them! "But what if they aren't visitors and they go to church here?" Again I ask, do you know them? If not then talk to them. So maybe they're a member of your church you've never met, now you have.

Don't just ask these visitors "how are you?" or say, "good morning" Try asking them if they live nearby or what brings them here today. Do they have little kids with them? Say, "Hey, I'd love to introduce you to so-and-so, they work with the kids here." Or is she a young single woman? Say, "Could I introduce you to so-and-so she leads a women bible study." You have spent only 5-10 minutes of your life and have maybe impacted them for a long time. Think I'm over exaggerating? I'm not.

What if it is a family who hasn't gone to church in years and you get to show them that Christians care?

Or what if it is a young couple that just moved to the area and they don't know anyone? You could be the first friend they make in a new place.

What if it is an unsaved person who somehow talked himself into going to church? You could be an example of a God they have never known.

Or what if it is a young woman who is having trouble believing that the church in America is even working, someone who has been hurt by other Christians? You could be the person who shows her love when she's given up on it.

What if?

Just a thought people, but shouldn't we as followers of the one true God be able to make people feel more welcome than the local Target does? Here is your chance, don't let it slip by you. I hope that when I finally find a church to call home I don’t let it slip by me.


"Therefore, to one who knows the right thing to do and does not do it, to him it is sin."
James 4:17

No comments:

Post a Comment