Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Church & Guilt

"There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death. For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh,could not do.By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin,he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit." Romans 8:1-4


As you may or may not know I haven't really been going to church recently. *Gasp!* Yes, yes I know, let's get the shock and doubting of my Christianity out of the way. Got it out of your system? Good.

I have to tell you though, these past few weeks of not attending church have been very interesting and, I think, good for me. You know how sometimes you don't miss something until it is gone? Or maybe you don't even realize you had something until it is gone? Well that is what has happened to me in these church-less weeks... kind of. No, I haven't realized how much I love and miss church, that isn't what I've noticed is gone from my life. What is gone then, you ask? I'll tell you. The church guilt! And no, I don't miss it.

This post is going to make some people mad, I'm very sorry about that. You can always stop reading now.

In the past month or so of not attending any church anywhere I have realized that I'm... happy! I do miss many of the people I use to go to church with, but I don't miss the feeling of guilt that often comes with a Sunday morning service.

The alter call that is meant to be a time between you and God that is actually a call for you to review how you've messed up in life. I don't miss it. The sermons about how sin keeps God from fellowshipping with you (when actually it is you who keeps you from God not Him or your sin). I don't miss it. The flowery prayers that are meant more for the people hearing them than for the God we are praying too. I don't miss it.

I don't miss feeling like I have to shape up or ship out. I don't miss the manipulative calls to serve God in your home church (despite the fact that you may be serving Him elsewhere and in your own way). I don't miss the talk about how you need give your tithes so God will bless you. I don't miss people speaking in "church speak" so they sound more spiritual. I don't miss the "shoulds". "I should do this." "We should do that." "I know I should be acting this way." I just don't miss it!

What do I miss? I miss the friends at had at my church that I don't see as much anymore. I miss them because I've realized the relationships I had with them is what church is meant to be. Iron sharpening iron without any of the guilt and shame.

I'm not saying to you shouldn't repent (agree with God about) your sin. I'm not saying that, I'm saying that feeling like you are a bad Christian or not a good enough... whatever, isn't how a redeemed and born again child of God should feel! And I for one don't miss feeling that way.

You know what I love? I love the prayer times we have at my work each Monday. Prayer and God's word without the traditions of men. I love talking to my close friends about what God is doing in their lives and how He is stretching them. I love the random phone calls I get from people who want to pray about something with me. You know what I love? I love the body of Christ, while I don't miss "the church" at all. When did these things become separate?

Is going to church on Sundays a bad thing? No, not always. But is it what Christ meant for His body? No, not always. It is one way we gather as the body of Christ. And it is only a good thing if we do it in a way that lines up with scripture. I still want that, I know some people have found it. But mostly I want to live in the freedom we have in Christ.

"For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery." Galatians 5:1

2 comments:

  1. We were saved to be free!!!!!! Some pastors can't preach this freedom because they live under condemnation(self condemnation)and they only know bondage.

    ReplyDelete