Friday, August 20, 2010

Church Homeless



The body of Christ—it is everywhere. It isn’t just in a church building, a small group, a Bible study, or a youth group. It is an undeniable, unbreakable connection we have with all believers—everywhere.


I am a part of the body of Christ with my Christian co-workers. I am part of the body of Christ with my Christian friends. I am part of the body of Christ with my Christian family members. So why do I feel so… homeless, familyless, uh… bodyless?

So last Sunday I re-visited Church #1 with a friend… who I think I will call… Elaine. It was really encouraging to visit a church with a buddy! Driving to and from the church with Elaine and sitting with her during service was much better than being alone. Oh, and I seriously I think more people greeted us during the greet ‘n’ meet since we were two people and not just little ol’ me.

The sermon was about spouses and children, with the usual tag of, “If you are single this is still for you, you’ll need it someday” (Uh… yeah, sure).However, what stood out to me this past Sunday was this whole body of Christ thing. I’m not looking to join the right body. I’m already part of it! So if I drive out 30 minutes to Church #1 or go to a closer church the point (for me) is to find a healthy place of worship. A place where I can get together with part of the body of Christ and we can encourage each other and learn from one another. A place to call home.

However, this thought made me consider how I am treating the body members I already know…

A co-worker of mine has been… grating my nerves, to say it nicely. Now strangely enough if this person was a non-believer I would be more patient with them; they may or may not know better and they certainly don’t have the power of the Holy Spirit to guide them. But since I know this person is a believer, it really ticks me off! I want to look at this person and say, “Treat me with respect or step off. I don’t need you.” However, out of professionalism (not brotherly love) I refrain.

Here I am week after week faithfully looking for a place to call a church home, but then I can’t even treat the Christians already in my life well? Treat and more importantly (for me at least) think of them as if we were all just small parts of a larger whole and need each other. Trust me, sometimes my actions may be polite but my thoughts are in a swirling chaos of sarcasm and insults. Mmmm sarcasm, my weapon of choice.

I want a church home I really do, but maybe right now I’m should use this time to work on other things in my life. Like. I don’t know.... my frustration issues? Also a friend told me this week, that maybe this time of being church homeless is a time for me to rest and heal.

I think my impatience and frustration with believers (I can always think of a way to tear the church down) is because I'm not letting myself... get over some stuff.

Recently I’ve been having a lot of conversations about forgiveness and how you have to forgive to be able to move on. And when it comes to forgiveness in the body of Christ it is extra important. If I stay mad at a co-worker, churches or other Christians— it hurts me! And it is dumb. Does the eye sit around not forgiving the foot? Or does the hand say to the elbow, "I'm not talking to you right now."? I think not.


“The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, ‘I don't need you!’…. If one part suffers,every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.” 1 Corinthians 12:21,26


As grateful as am I for Elaine and not having to visit church alone last Sunday, I also need to appreciate and love the other Christians in my life. In this time of waiting to feel at home again, I need to forgive the Christians in my life who may have hurt me. And I need to trust that God has a plan and that He is doing much greater things than I am aware of.


“He found him in a desert land, And in the howling waste of a wilderness; He encircled him, He cared for him, He guarded him as the pupil of His eye.” Deuteronomy 32:10

No comments:

Post a Comment