Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Car Music

When driving in the car my music is always on, always. If there is silence in my car it freaks me out a little bit (we won’t go in to what that may say about me). Because of this, I often think of what music I want to have playing when someone else gets in the car with me. What will be the soundtrack for our drive together?

So when getting in to someone else’s vehicle; to go get coffee or to go out shopping or to go see Thor (cha-ching!), I’m very aware of what music they were listening to before I climbed in. I think I can tell in approximately 1.5 seconds if they are listening to Christian or “secular” music.

With that in mind I made a list of some quick and easy questions to ask yourself so you can swiftly know what kind of music you are listening to:
*ahem*
Is there a non-electric guitar solo? Heavy chimes? Or prominent use of “shakers” as a percussion interment? Christian music. Chris Tomlin? Is that you?
Does the song start with or contain at anytime someone rapping/singing the name of who is performing the song? Secular music.
Is the main singer being backed up by a vocalist of the opposite gender? Possibly with a lot of echoing going on? Christian music.
If it is a female singer, does she have any rasp to her voice at all? Yes? Secular music.
If it is a male singer does the song start out with guitar music and then the guy comes in sounding like he is singing with his eyes tightly closed? Christian music… most likely Casting Crowns. In fact I’m going to guess it is “Glorious Day”.
Did this song just use the word “tail” or the phrase “shake it”? Secular music… or Family Force 5.
Does the rock song’s high point make it hard to hear the vocals over the electric guitar and/or drums? Christian rock.
Does the song use a lot of synthesized sounding instruments, a heavy electric bass opening or just random layers of sound? Secular. In fact you are most likely hearing the local “Top 40” station. Keep listening because any minute “key dollar sign ha” will be coming on (that’s Ke$ha… and a Glee joke).
Does the music sound like it was recorded with a reverb? In a large room? Or with multiple people singing along? Christian worship music.
Is there a heavy dance drum/bass beat with various other repetitive sounds? Do you feel like you should drop it like it is hot? Secular. My guess is your friend has their Gaga going or you are listening to the Black Eyed Peas.
This one is a little risky, but if you want to make a very fast guess and it is a female singing. Soprano? Christian music. Alto? Secular music.
And finally, does your friend quickly change or turn down the music when you get in the car? Secular music. Probably something embarrassing like Pitbull or Britney Spears.
You think I’m joking, but try these out, you’ll be right more often than not. Wow… I have sudden urge to make a Casting Crowns/Lady Gaga mix… Anyway, I personally like to stick a little Mumford and Sons in when I have people traveling with me. That’ll confuse ‘em!

What music do you like to listen too with you friends in the car?

4 comments:

  1. I wanted to press the non-existent "like" button after almost every sentence!
    I love this blog, here.
    Being of mainly secular mind I was surprised at the ending of one of your last sentences "And finally, does your friend quickly change...." I thought it was going to be Christian Music, because if some non-churchy friend got in the car and I was jamming to my Barlow album I would quickly change the channel. Yes - I'm that kind. I would never - no matter who's getting in the car - turn or change my secular music. Interesting, right?
    Great blog.
    And to answer the last question: I'm a top forty kind of girl when I'm in the car. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! That's funny. I mostly turn it down when it is... inappropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very amusing Meagerz. While a few of these missed the mark for me, several were spot on. I always turn down my music for people entering the vehicle out of courtesy and common greetings.

    ...and it is usually "secular" music I listen to because I like good music. OHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh....... =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is why I listen to mostly secular music too.. that and The Rocket Summer because it is SO GOOD!! ;)

    ReplyDelete